Friday, July 13, 2012

Review: Dark Descendant


Dark Descendant by Jenna Black

(Nikki Glass #1)

Pocket Books, 355 Pages
GOODREADS

Quote
“There is no lock strong enough nor wall thick enough to keep Death out," he murmured, his lips close to my ear so that I could feel the puff of his breath against my skin. The ends of a couple of his braids had found their way under the collar of my flannel night-shirt and tickled the base of my neck. "Are you speaking literally or metaphorically?”


Content
Nikki Glass can track down any man. But when her latest client turns out to be a true descendant of Hades, Nikki now discovers she can’t die. . . . Crazy as it sounds, Nikki’s manhunting skills are literally god-given. She’s a living, breathing descendant of Artemis who has stepped right into a trap set by the children of the gods. Nikki’s new “friends” include a descendant of Eros, who uses sex as a weapon; a descendant of Loki, whose tricks are no laughing matter; and a half-mad descendant of Kali who thinks she’s a spy. But most powerful of all are the Olympians, a rival clan of immortals seeking to destroy all Descendants who refuse to bow down to them. In the eternal battle of good god/bad god, Nikki would make a divine weapon. But if they think she’ll surrender without a fight, the gods must be crazy


Thoughts
Our main character Nikki, a descendant of Artemis, becomes an immortal by accident, literally. The writing style was very easy to follow, the characters a bit shallow, but as this is a series I hope they will get better developed over the next installments. The idea was really promising and actually well executed, but I felt that people where just a tad bit annoying at times. Nikki is always very compassionate and even emphasizes this herself, telling us about being a 'bleeding heart' over and over again. I get it, no need to repeat yourself. Jamaal was beginning to get on my nerves when he cornered Nikki all the time, because he thought she is playing them, but getting killed a few times as punishment made me re-asses my feelings for him. As an immortal they apparently can die - they just come back every time. And getting beheaded cannot be a nice feeling, either way. There wasn't much romance going on in this book, which was a surprise. We do have something that seems like the beginning of a romance between Blake and Nikki's sister, whose name i forgot, which has it's own big obstacles.
(Sorry I do not want to spoil anything, so I leave it at that.)
All in all a nice book to kill some time.

Rating ★★★☆☆

0 comments:

Dí lo que piensas...