Friday, July 6, 2012

Review: Fire Baptized


Fire Baptized by Kenya Wright
(Habitat #1)

Dragonfair Press, 276 pages
GOODREADS

Quotes
Dante and this Palero were definitely playing some sort of game, and I didn’t know the rules, which was fine with me. Whenever a game became too complicated, I just set the board on fire.


Content
Since the 1970s humans have forced supernaturals to live in caged cities. Silver brands embedded in their foreheads identify them by species: a full moon for Vampires, a crescent moon for Shifters, a pair of wings for Fairies, and the list goes on, for each supernatural species has been tagged and categorized by humans. Lanore Vesta is marked with a silver X, the brand of Mixbreeds, second-class citizens shunned by society. She stays to herself, revealing her ability to create fire only during emergencies. All she wants to do is graduate college and stop having to steal to survive. But when she stumbles upon a murder in progress, she catches the attention of a supernatural killer. Now all she wants is to stop finding dead bodies in her apartment.


Thoughts
This book was simply a-l-r-i-g-h-t. The writing is clear and enjoyable, no rambling and not too much theatrics going on. A love triangle that didn’t made me wanna scratch my eyes out (what a surprise!) and a strong and likable heroine. She seemed like the kinda person that would rather throw herself into insanity then depression – in a good way. Don’t give up until it’s too late and than try to kick ass anyway. The story was dark and at times gruesome, but never without reason. The mystery of the murderers identity had me stumped. There was nothing really given away at any time! Which was good, sure, but I like when I feel like the name of the culprit is just at the tip of my tongue. As a first book in a series it’s interesting enough and I hope the second book will be a bit better, with more details.


Rating ★★★☆☆

0 comments:

Dí lo que piensas...