Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Review: The Restorer


The Restorer by Amanda Stevens
(Graveyard Queen #1)

Mira, 376 pages
GOODREADS

Quote
Through her wispy aura, her skin looked translucent, her hair a tangle of raven curls. She wore a sweet blue dress with a sprig of jasmine tucked into the waist, and I saw the sparkle of some tiny ring on her finger as she lifted her hand and pointed toward the window where I stood trembling. There was no mistaking her intent.
She knew I was there.
She knew I could see her.
And she was letting me know that she knew.


Content
My name is Amelia Gray. I’m a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. In order to protect myself from the parasitic nature of the dead, I’ve always held fast to the rules passed down from my father. But now a haunted police detective has entered my world and everything is changing, including the rules that have always kept me safe.


Thoughts
The first thing that came to my mind seeing the cover was: Weeping Angles.

But the book had nothing to do with very scary angel statures that would kill you in a blink. (HA!) Being about ghosts i wasn’t sure what to expect – I normally read about angels and demons and vampires and witches – seldom about ghosts.


The overall atmosphere was a bit quiet and eerie. It wasn’t scary per se, but hauntingly, beautifully written. The romance was not as in-your-face as i would have thought (I’m too used to trashy novels) and I liked that we merely scratched the surface, took our time and focused on the solving the murder and getting to the bottom of Amelia’s growing knowledge and awareness of the otherworldly beings and what happens to and around her. (What a sentence …)


Sure, there was constant evaluation of her own feelings, but she never shows anything outwardly and i felt that made her so much more interesting than other kickass-damaged-angsty heroines I’ve read about before. She seems more grown up. Devlin is a lot like her, trying not to show his emotions. As he’s haunted (literally) by his dead wife and child, the relationship between them two just seems very doomed. He’s taboo, at least if she doesn’t want every ghost latching onto her because they realize she can see them … insanity here i come!


For me something new and fresh – if you read ghost stories often it might be different.


Rating 

0 comments:

Dí lo que piensas...