Monday, July 2, 2012

Review: The Battle Sylph


The Battle Sylph (Sylph, #1)

The Battle Sylph by L. J. McDonald
(Sylph #1)

Leisure Books, 323 pages
GOODREADS

Quote
“Hey, you,” she managed, barely able to speak at all, she was so frightened. She swallowed, trying to get her tongue untied enough to ask its name, and it breathed warm air on her. Heyou,it repeated softly, the sound echoing in her mind. Had she just named it? she wondered, and suddenly became aware that there was shouting. Startled, she looked away from the beast to see that the priests were backing away in terror, the soldiers moving in with real fright in their eyes, but still determined.




Content
He is one of many: a creature of magic, unrelentingly male. He is lured through the portal by pure female beauty, a virgin sacrifice. She is killed, and he is silenced and enslaved. Such a dark ritual is necessary. Unlike their elemental cousins—those gentler sylphs of wind and fire—battlers find no joy in everyday labor. Their magic can destroy an army or demolish a castle, and each has but one goal: find his queen, then protect and pleasure her at any cost. What would a maiden do if she were given such a servant? What would befall that kingdom foolish enough to allow a battler to escape? Young Solie and the people of Eferem are about to find out.


Thoughts
Oooooh Ooooooooooh what utter rubbish! I know, I know, what did I expect, right?
Reading the description on Goodreads and seeing all these good reviews, I thought it would be more epic … There where just too many thinks I didn’t like and couldn’t tolerate! Heyou and Solie – the MAIN CHARACTERS , didn’t have enough face time. It WAS their story right Miss McDonald??


I found Ral to be quite more fascinating, there is a big story there , real feelings! But H. and S. where just two stupid love-struck BRAINLESS children with no concept of reality. I can get behind Solie becoming queen by banging the otherworldy man-child (it IS a romance-fantasy novel after all ), but GAWD she was just … just so… so … GAAAAWD.
*Throws eBook across imaginary library*


“Oopsie – me queen? Nooo I dont wanna have power and tell u what to doooo, don’t kill anyone pleasey-pooo?” Because it is a romance novel, I kinda expected a love-at-first sight thing, just maybe a bit more substance?


Also, Solie making him look like her dream man the moment they met is just kinda wrong. I get it , it was to show us they can change form however they want, but it made me feel a bit awkward. How would you like if your lover remakes you however s/he pleases?


But he’s a stupid drone anyway… sorry I’m rambling it was just so frustrating. I think the world created here has great potential, it’s a more unique idea than most authors have in the fantasy genre, but I just expected so much more and something a bit different.


Rating ★★☆☆☆

0 comments:

Dí lo que piensas...